Editor at COLL
Many people who love food- wear that love quite proudly on their arm, especially if weight does not show on them too much. Some brag about being able to eat anything that walks or moves or eat astounding quantities of food in one day. Now for the environmentally focused that bragging may not hit the right nerves at all nor for the health conscious but anyone who knows anything about addictions will have a nagging doubt if they are listening to a FOOD ADDICT here.
Consumption beyond your need is an utter waste. Nor will the body handle it carefully, nor will it really absorb. So what happens with all those extra kilos of food going in ? It passes quickly and exists quickly too. In short that is just contribution into the sewage and the sea. Food is a resource and the body treats it likewise. The human mind needs to recognise food as a precious commodity that needs to be measured in its intake so that we operate at our optimum, are a lesser burden to farmers and live responsibly.
People who have an addiction to food are attached to food with three parts of their face. The eyes that see food trigger imagination of what it must taste like and pangs begins it all. Even if on a full stomach, a food addicts greed over takes them and their hands will reach out to that scrumptious looking morsel of food. The nose obviously is next. Smell has a divine way of stimulating the hypothalamus which is the centre for hunger and food craving. In food addicts this is on a constant over drive. So far so, that smelling food can give them a ravenous appetite. The mouth is the place where food that enters will be tasted and what is tasted cannot be stopped. A food addict thus finds it hard to stop eating once they start chewing. A full stomach does not send the same signals to the brain as it does in regular eaters who just HAVE TO stop eating.
12 Signs of a Food addict
- Very open to all kinds of food. Is less picky as long as it is food.
- Has little to no worry about health.
- They have very concern on subjects like food security, poverty, feeding the poor etc. Obviously they find it hard to send excess food they possess to some poorer parts of their neighbourhood. Even when reminded on DUTY to self and family there will be little to no difference in attitude or effort to change habits.
- On the subject of food you will notice they are greedy and focused on self gratification. Enjoyment now is worth three times more than the weight they will put on and have to shed.
- Somehow learn to accept their weight issues, changing shape and appearance.
- Some demand family and friends to be more accepting of them “AS they are” while their own habits wont change.
- Will seek food when they are bored, happy, excited or depressed – quite like the alcoholic on the subject of mood.
- Food is on their mind as soon as they wake up and as the day proceeds. The frequency, quantity and portions increase as the day moves to dusk. Eating peaks after sundown well into late night.
- Over time they develop odd tastes like mixing strange foods others cannot ever think of.
- Watching a food addict eat all day can be very sickening for others as it is disturbing.
- Some bits of self loathe, guilt sets in and when they get emotionally affected a food addict can be hard to deal with who needs constant reassuring and attention making an already stressed time even harder for near and dear ones.
- At times Food addiction is an indication of deep emotional and psychological issues including depression.
Now replace the word FOOD addiction signs, to ALCOHOL addiction signs and voila ! You see the signs listed apply appropriately to both the same way. It means Food addiction is just as bad and as serious as Alcohol addiction can be.
People assume food addiction is noticed only in the obese: Well it is not. In fact many obese people do not eat too much at all. Many are cases of genetic disorders and hormonal issues. Few obsese are really cases who eat their way into obesity. A person who cannot control their desire to eat and eats far more than the need of their body could be an addict. Some addicts start to purge which means they vomit the food eaten – to be able to eat again. This is not really from the desire to not put on weight , but to make space for more food. This is a point where food addiction becomes a serious psychological problem and needs professional attention.